The Village of Columbia Heights was formed on March 14, 1898 when it separated from Fridley Township. With 1696 acres, 100 citizens, and 20 houses, paths became roads, traffic patterns emerged, and a city began. The city name was selected by contest. Possible reasons for the selection are:
- Heights - 47th Avenue Northeast and Stinson Boulevard is the highest point in Hennepin, Ramsey, and Anoka Counties
- Named after a city it resembled in New York state
- Proximity to Columbia Park
Read more history...